Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sexy, spicy grilled cheese on squaw (aka Sunday morning breakfast)


Today I made grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast. Grilled cheese is the food that I would choose if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life (with pickles, of course).

The sandwiches I made today have been dubbed "sexy, spicy grilled cheese on squaw" because I like alliteration. I guess if it were the perfect alliterated sammich it would be Sunday's sexy, spicy swiss on squaw - but I used Muenster instead, because Muenster grilled cheeses are the best.

Squaw bread, in case you've never tried it before, is delicious.

I like to compliment the basic bread & cheese equation with a few additional ingredients; usually it is onions, pickles or pesto. Today I went with some yellow wax peppers and fresh basil. The peppers, which look innocently cheerful in their pale yellow skins, are VERY HOT. These unlikely companions - the peppers and the basil - turned out a stellar sandwich.

I prepped the peppers and basil by dry roasting in a pan on low heat with a teaspoon of olive oil. I used about handful of whole basil leaves and sliced up two yellow peppers. This gets cooked until the peppers are soft.

While the peppers & basil is cooking, I buttered the outsides of the squaw bread with room-temperature butter -- soft enough to spread without tearing the soft bread apart. When the peppers were ready, I put the mix onto the sandwich in an even layer and then cooked it until grilled & gooey. It was so good that I want to make another one. Later ya'll, I hear the kitchen calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment