Sunday, March 13, 2011

Belgian Tripels and other beer adventures at the Blue Palms

I have developed a deep affinity for Belgian Tripels. With a tendency towards crisp, almost fruity flavors and a typical alcohol content of 8-plus percent, they are, taste-wise, something of a wine among beers. What these brews actually are, though, are strong pale ales, and can be either dark or light. Delicious, varied, and high in alcohol at 8-plus percent, they are hard to resist. Last night I had a Ladyface Trois Filles Tripel at the Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood. It was so good, I had to stop myself from drinking it all at once--so it's great to learn that Ladyface is a local brewery based out in Agoura Hills. Their selection of Belgian-style ales, and barleywine, is quite alluring. A visit to the young brewery, which recently passed its' 1-year anniversary of opening, is in short order.

While my tongue yearns to seek out Tripels and other Belgian-style ales, my heart is called back to the Blue Palms for Sierra Nevada night, an evening with brewer Steve Grossman and 8 Sierra Nevada Beers on tap. I have a special place in my heart for Sierra Nevada; my first SN Pale Ale was the first "real" beer, a 21st birthday gift from a friend of true good taste. Among the brews on tap: Hoptimum Imperial and $3 pints of Pale Ale. You know where to find me tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment